Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why I LOVE My Job!!!

I always love to get inspirational letters, quotes, cards, etc. from clients. And when I read those kind words it always brings a BIG smile to my face and reminds me of why I love what I wake up and do everyday. Whether it be losing weight, changing someone's eating habits, helping them get in swimsuit competition shape, feeling better about themselves, reaching a long term goal, fighting an illness, and the list goes on and on--it is all these reasons why I love my job and strive to lead by example. My clients are not only "clients," but true friends. I treasure each and every relationship that I build with my clientelle. They are all unique and special in their own ways.
Today I received an email from a sweet, young female client of mine. Her name is Brittany Sharpe. Brittany came to me about six months ago to begin preparing for a state pageant. After the initial consultation, I designed her fitness plan and she began her fitness journey. I met with Brittany once a month for the past six months. In those six months, I guided and watched Brittany tackle her goals and become her personal best. At our last meeting, I measured her progress and the results were very rewarding. However, what was more rewarding to me was not how great Brittany looked, but how her thought process on health and fitness had changed and made a postive impact on her outlook on life. What went from preparing for a beauty pageant turned into a lifestyle change. Below is an essay she wrote for her college English composition class. I got cold chills as I read the draft, as I was once again reminded of how my career can impact an individual.

HEALTH NUT
Harvey’s gym has become my second home in over a year. I have devoted each and every morning to my strenuous routine. I believe in staying consistent, no matter if it’s a diet or simple cardio work out. Becoming consistent has been the only drive of my determination. Except for yesterday when my expectation of staying consistent was given a back seat to my temptation.
It’s eleven-thirty at night; my mind is exclusively fastened on food. I know, better than to eat this late but I want to lay down the rulebook, forget about being consistent, and make my rules. Walking through the door the aroma of carbohydrates filled the dinning area. While scanning the menu, the waitress asked me in a polite manner
“Hun, What would you like to drink?”
Second-guessing myself, a marvelous idea sprung into my head “ I’ll take water.” Convincing myself that water would help out in the calorie department. Within minutes she was back with the glass of ice water.
“ So have you decided?”
“Well, I would like your homemade hand-tossed pizza.”
“Alright, be out in a bit.”
As she disappeared, my conscious began to work on me. I wanted her to come back so I could change my order to a veggie burger instead. The time passed by so quickly, she rushes out with the hot pan, which carried my homemade hand-tossed pizza.
“Enjoy!”
Ha enjoy? I’m going to savor every last bite. This pizza has layer upon layer of classic American cheese. The Italian pepperoni’s sizzled with intense flavor. With each slice that I devoured I never once thought, “Wow this one slice is 350 calories.” As I slowly stopped shoving the carbohydrate infested pizza into my mouth. I felt disgusted with myself for cheating on my Health Nut diet. She arrived at my table with the ticket in hand and said, “Well, how was it?”
“It filled me up!”
“Would you like any dessert?”
“Oh no I’m good thanks.” I handed her a twenty, she scurried off to get my change. Sitting there waiting on my change I sensed each and every carbohydrate is attaching itself to my fatty tissue. “ Eww, I feel gross.” The waitress brings the change and wishes me a safe trip home. Getting into my car, I drive off and veer onto the main road. Waiting at the red light, I glance at my back seat and notice all of my gym attire. Without hesitation, I whip into the turning lane, and head downtown.
Its one in the morning and the chilled air is creeping up and down my legs as I enter my secret six digit code. Swinging the door open I try not to drop my iPod and water. The machines are taking a power nap, but attentively waiting for the first person to being a fitness workout. I step onto the elliptical and awaken it from its deep slumber. Within the first ten minutes I feel the sweet beading up at my hairline. Watching the number of calories accumulate on the screen. I have only burned sixty-five calories in twenty minutes. This is ridiculous , I knew better than to eat that late. I have failed my most important rule, stay consistent, and don’t give in to temptation. In order to burn all the pizza slices off, I will need to stay on the cardio machines for the next three hours.
As time slowly passed by I began to become agitated with myself. I have consumed over fifteen hundred calories. I have been so faithful to my diet until an hour ago. The rest of my strenuous workout the image of the homemade hand-tossed pizza tormented my mind and body. Wishing, I could have gone back in time to change my order. I realized the past is the past and the only way to make it right is move on toward the future and continue staying consistent.

Thanks Brittany for sharing this with me and keeping me motivated to continue what I love to do for a living!!! Staying consistent is key to developing healthy eating habits; however, it is okay to enjoy the occasional splurge, even if it is a piece of greasy pizza! And FYI--her grandmother, Hellen, makes a carrot cake that will make you "slap your mamma," as we say in Kentucky! And it was well worth the splurge, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment